Monday, May 25, 2009

Ahh - Knitting

Spiritual - Contemplate this: "God could make a bigger world or a wider sky, but He could not raise a pure creature higher than Mary for the dignity of Mother of God is the highest dignity that can be conferred on a creature" (St. Bonaventure).

Sewing - I am a beginner knitter and having so much fun. This is the third time I've tried to learn to knit since 1980 or so. This time I'm determined to learn. I've made several scarves over the winter and loved wearing them. Now, I'm into felted totes. These totes use bulky yarn and a size 13 circular needle. The project is very fast. For the first one, I cast on 100 stitches and used 2 skeins of Lamb's Pride (125 yds ea) and mixed in about 35 yds of Karabella Festival yarn four inches (five rows) from the top. I used the knit stitch. After knitting, I threaded the bottom and pulled into a circle to close. I tossed it into the washer (hot water) for three cycles. Towels were stuffed in to shape the bag until it was dry. I was really surprised at the amount of shrinkage. It ended up being more of a bowl than a bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment